The Most Common Teeth Injuries

Though we all try to avoid them, injuries to our mouths and teeth sometimes happen. Wounds to teeth often appear worse then they are  as there are many blood vessels in that region that can bleed quite a bit with a tiny cut. In all cases of injury to any teeth, a trip to your dentist is recommended. Below are some of the different types of common injuries that occur with teeth.

Avulsions & Knocked Out Teeth

Teeth damaged during accidents, or commonly though playing sports, can result in them being knocked out. This is called avulsion. If the tooth has been knocked out it is possible to replace or re-implant it. If you lose a tooth, keep care to handle it gently, making sure to pick it up by its crown and avoiding touching the surface of the root. If it is dirty the tooth can be washed with water (never use soap, scrub it, dry it, or wrap the tooth in anything). It is best if you try can reposition the tooth in socket immediately by carefully pushing the lost tooth back into the socket with your fingers and slowly closing your mouth. You can keep the tooth in place with your fingers or by very gently biting down. If the tooth is outside of your mouth it must not dry out, so if it cannot be re-inserted into the socket then it is advised to put in milk, your mouth next to your cheek, or in an emergency tooth preservation kit until you reach the dentist. Water from the tap is not a good choice, as the cells in the root surface do not like spending extended time in this liquid. Most importantly you should see the next available dentist or endodontist within 30 minutes. Though it possible to replace a tooth after an hour more, half an hour is optimal.

Cracked & Chipped Teeth

Cracked or chipped teeth, and fractured crowns can usually be fixed by reattaching the broken piece or by using tooth colored filling. If too much of the tooth is damaged, a dentist might place an artificial crown in order to restore it. If the pulp, or interior of the tooth, has become injured a root canal may be needed. Injuries involving the pulp should be treated immediately, though you can bite on a clean piece of cloth until you receive treatment. It is best to avoid topical oral medicines or ointments when this type of injury occurs. When cracks, splits, or chips happen in the back teeth, a root canal and full crowns are often needed to return functionality.

Dislodged Or Luxated Teeth

Sometimes a tooth can be pushed loose or moved in its position and this is called dental luxation. Usually this is the result of trauma to the teeth from falling or a blow to the mouth. A dentist can help reposition and steady your tooth if this happens. If the tooth is not fractured or split it can be repositioned back into its spot using a splint to help it to facilitate pulp and periodontal ligament healing. For permanent teeth, a root canal can also be recommended for some types of dislodged or luxated teeth.

Doctor McDowell, a dentist in Gladstone, has years of experience fixing injured and damaged teeth. Call or make an appointment today.